A restaurant called the House of Thai is in a pickle. We have to build them a new blueprint of a new website. The house of Thai has delicious dishes but navigating their website is a nightmare. Customers are having a hard time ordering their food online. Our goal is to discover how the website should be build to give the users the best experience.
We used several research methods such as: user personas, user journeys, card sorting and tree testing.
This challenge was from 5 October until 9 October 2020
This was a one week challenge that I performed with Alies Eechaute
After creating our user personas, it was clear that we had been dealing with a browsing and a seeking user. The seeking user knows what he wants and wants it immediately. The browsing user don’t really know what he wants. He needs incentives along the way to make his choice.
Based on our user personas we made user journeys. This helped us to understand the users’ behavior.
The house of Thai has delicious dishes but navigating their website is a nightmare. They have about 70 dishes on their website that are not well ordered.
Remote card sorting
We used open card sorting to understand our users’ expectations and understandings. We gave the users a series of labelled cards (70 different dishes) and asked them to organise and sort them into groups that they think are appropriate. They are then asked to name each of the groups they have created with a label that best describes that group. This test was performed 9 times.
Proven By Users was used to perform this remote card sorting
Afterwards we analysed the data to identify common trends. These are the results:
|Meat / tofu||1x|
We notice that the most common groups are tapas, soup, salads, meat, poultry, fish, veggie, side dishes and drinks. Out of the 19 groups that were given, we continued with these 9 most common groups.
In order to guarantee the findability of these different dishes, we performed different tree tests using the website Optimal Workshop. We wanted to discover how our audience finds what they’re looking for. We made 3 different tests. The tree tests were performed 15 times in total.
Design of prototype
The house of Thai was in need of a more structured website. It is important that everyone, who visits the website, can find what they are looking for. We performed multiple card sorting tests to understand our users’ expectations and understandings. We also performed some tree testing to guarantee they easily find dishes they are looking for. Based on these tests and some research to already existing menus, we could create a new possible menu for the House of Thai.